What are the required languages for studying in the Netherlands?
Dutch is the native language in the Netherlands. Many schools in the Netherlands will ask you to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL®) to measure your English language proficiency.
If you’re worried about your English language proficiency, check out our partner language centers
that can help you improve your skills!
Do I need a visa? How do I get it?
If you planning to study in the Netherlands for up to 90 days, you will need Schengen visa. This visa allows you to move freely within countries of the Schengen Agreement.
After you accept to Dutch universities, you need to apply an entry visa called PROVISIONAL RESIDENCE PERMIT or Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblifj’ (MVV) , this allows you to enter the Netherlands within 6 months.
To qualify for an MMV visa, you'll need:
- A valid passport, and at least one photocopy of the passport photo page
- Proof you have sufficient financial means to support yourself during the course of your studies, set by the Dutch Ministry of Justice to be at least €833.22 (US$ 1160) per month. Bank statement and scholarship letters are accepted.
- A completed MVV form
- Agree to undergo a medical test for tuberculosis within three months of arriving in the Netherlands. Some nationalities are exempt from this.
- Proof of provisional acceptance to study at a recognized institution in the Netherlands.
Once you have applied for MMV, the host students institution is bound to apply for a Residence Permit on your behalf. Your Residence Permit will be valid for the duration of your study programme.
Are there scholarships available? How can I finance my studies?
There are many scholarships offered by the Netherlands government and even the schools themselves. Visit the Edukasyon profiles of the schools you are interested in to check if they are offering any scholarships.
There are also some international student loans available from different loan giving bodies. University representatives usually work in tandem with their financial aid department that focuses on helping students find options to finance their education. Explore our partner schools here
, and click "Send Inquiry" to get connected with your university representative.
Why should I study in the Netherlands?
Netherlands is an amazing and perfect study destination for all the Filipino who wants to study abroad. It has an international and multicultural environment where it makes convenient, comfortable and pleasant for international students to makes living, studying and working. Dutch higher education is subsidized by the government and tuition fees are relative low compared to ther English speaking countries. It is also make it easy for international students to meet Dutch people because of the innovative teaching methods.
The universities also offer a wide range of degress taught in English. Transportation system has various discount to students making it travelling quite affordable. Lastly, education in Netherlands is internationally recognized because of very high valued at both the national and international level.
What are the requirements for studying at a school in the Netherlands?
First, you have to contact the international office of the university you are interested in to check whether your degree (obtained in your homeland) is recognised in the Netherlands. Given that your degree is recognised in the Netherlands, you may need:
- A residence permit if you are not an EU / EEA or Swiss citizen.
- Sufficient mastery of English: TOEFL (minimum 550 paper based, 213 computer based), IELTS (minimum average of 6) GMAT or GRE.
- A minimum average of 7 - 7,5 (foreign diploma).
- To be accepted by the university you have applied to. Institutions may reject your application or ask you to take some admission tests if they believe you are not fully qualified.
- A good command of Dutch if you are after a study programme in Dutch. Most universities may also offer you courses in Dutch as a second language so you can prove that you have sufficient mastery of the language.
How do I choose a school in the Netherlands?
Schools in the Netherlands offer many undergraduate and graduate programs in every academic field. After deciding (1) What your career goals are and (2) What academic programs can help you achieve those goals, it's time to do some research on which school is best for you! There are schools in the US that are looking for Filipino students just like you! Explore them here